- 9/75 - 6/79 Stanford University, Stanford, CA, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
- 9/74 - 6/75 Stanford University, M.S., Mechanical Engineering
- 9/70 - 6/74 Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- 7/92-present Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- 1/2001-3/2002 Chief Technical Officer, Accuray Incorporated, Sunnyvale, CA. Reported to Dr. John Adler, CEO (Dept of Neurosurgery, Stanford University)responsible for 25 hardware, software and field service engineers focused on the transition of the CyberKnife image-guided robotic radiosurgery system to a commercial product.
- 9/92-12/92 Visiting Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Prof. Steve Dubowsky, host.
- 7/91-6/92 Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, School of Engineering--Responsible for admissions, probation, disqualification, and curriculum planning, scheduling, and advising for all Engineering undergraduates.
- 7/89-6/91 Undergraduate Advisor, Department of Mechanical Engineering--Responsible for organizing and scheduling the Mechanical Engineering undergraduate program, and for recruiting students and monitoring their progress.
- 7/88-6/92 Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering--Research in the mechanical design of manipulators and manipulator systems and mathematical methods for spatial mechanism synthesis.
- 7/86-7/88 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Irvine. Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania, Phila., PA.
- 1/83-6/86 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania, with a Secondary Appointment in the Computer and Information Sciences Department, Dr. J. Bordogna, Dean, Dr. M. Lesser, Chairman (MEAM), Dr. Ruzena Bajcsy, Chairman (CIS)--Research and teaching in mechanism design and automation. Joint research with C.I.S. Department in robotics and computer graphics.
- 9/80 - 12/82 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA., Prof. J. Callinan, Dean--Undergraduate and Masters level teaching with special projects in robotics and computer graphics; designed and supervised the microcomputer based computer-aided engineering laboratory.
- 8/79 - 9/80 Senior Engineer in the Applied Mechanics Group, Central Engineering Laboratories of FMC Corp., 1185 Coleman Ave., Santa Clara, CA., Dr. J. Wiederrich, supervisor--Provided mechanical design consulting support to FMC divisions, performed experimental vibration and modal analysis studies.
Honors and Awards
- School of Engineering, Outstanding University Service Award, 1990.
- AMR Unique Contribution Award 1993-1995, for contributions to the growth of the science of applied mechanisms and robotics.
- Award Winner, PVA Student Design Competition, A Wheelchair based Mounting System for Automated Positioning of an Electronic Augmetative Communication Device, D. A. Ruth, RESNA99, June 29, 1999, Long Beach, CA
- 1997 MAE Professor of the Year, voted by students.
- 1999 Faculty Speaker for the UCI Honors Convocation.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Computer Society
- Member, Spatial Mechanisms Subcommittee of the Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division
- Member, Committee on Computational Geometry, ASME Computers in Engineering Division
- Invited participant NSF-ASME Workshop on Research Needs in Machine Dynamics, Denver, CO, August 10-13, 1986.
- Member, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1988-1992.
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 1989-1993 (previously ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design )
- Member Program Committee for 1989 IEEE Robotics and Automation Conference
- Paper Review Chairman, 1990 ASME Mechanisms Conference
- Chartered Review Panel Member, National Science Foundation, 1991
- Chair, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1994-1996
- Associate Editor Journal of Robotics Systems, 1993 to present.
- Host, L.A. Area Robotics and Automation Symposium, November 18, 1994. 80 attendees.
- General Conference Chair for ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers in Engineering. August 18-21, 1996
- Conference Chair, Mechanism Conference August 18-21, 1996.
- Chair, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1994-1998.
- Chair, Honors and Awards Subcommittee, ASME Mechanisms Committee 1998-2000.
Ph. D. Students:
1. Qiaode (Jeff) Ge, "Kinematic Constraints as Algebraic Manifolds in the Clifford Algebra of Three Dimensional Projective Space," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, June 1990. (Asst. Prof., State University of New York, Stony Brook)
2. R. Mohan C. Bodduluri, "The Design and Planned Movement of Multi Degree of Freedom Closed Kinematic Chains," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, August 1990. (Vice President for Product Development, Accuray, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA.)
3. John R. Dooley, "Dynamic Analysis of Spatial Mechanisms Using Dual Quaternion Coordinates," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, January ,1993. (Research Scientist, Accuray, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA.)
4. Pierre Larochelle, "Design of Cooperating Robots and Spatial Mechanisms," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, June 1994. (Asst. Prof., Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL).
5. Andrew Murray, "Global Properties of Constraint Manifolds in the Kinematic Synthesis of Closed Chains," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, June 1996 (Asst. Prof., University of Dayton, Dayton, OH).
6. Fangli Hao, "A Geometric Approach to the Singularity Analysis of In-Parallel Robot Manipulators," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, June 1996. (Research scientist, Lam Research Corp.)
7. Bernard Soriano, "A Biomechanical Investigation of Human Movement during the Golf Swing," Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, August 1996. (Science Advisor, California Governor Pete Wilson.)
8. Curtis Collins, "Singularity Analysis and Design of Parallel Manipulators"-- Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCI, August 1997. (Lecturer, California Institute of Technology, Asst. Prof., University of California, Riverside.)
Alba Perez, Geometric Design of Constrained Robotic Systems, passed Qualifying Exam, June 5, 2001.
Haijun Su, Exstensible System for the Computer-aided Design of Spatial Linkages. (passed Qualifying Exam, March 18, 2002)
Master's of Science Students:
University of Pennsylvania:
1. D. Carmel, "The Mechanical Design of the Pennsylvania Anthropomorphic Robotic Manipulator - A Seven Degree of Freedom Kinematically Anthropomorphic Robot," May 1984.
2. A. Gillett, "Kinematic and Dynamics Analysis of an Anthropomorphic Manipulator," August 1984.
3. W. Holzmann, "On Grasping a General Solid Object with a Multi-Fingered Mechanical Hand," December 1984.
4. E. Donskoy, "The Mechanical Design of a High Speed Robotic Electronic Component Insertion System," September 1986.
5. Qiaode Ge, "The Kinematic Geometry of the Hypersphere as an Image Space of Rotational Motion," September 1986.
6. Scott Leaver, "The Mechanical Design of a Three Jointed Two-degree-of-freedom Robot Fingers," September 1986.
7. Mohan Bodduluri, "The Design of Spherical Four Bar Linkages Using Interactive Computer Graphics," September 1986.
8. S. Mantha, "The Synthesis of Four Bar Linkages using Kinematic Mapping," December 1986.
University of California, Irvine:
9. Y. M. Tsai (M. S. Engineering), "The Workspace of Two Adjacent Planar Manipulators, One with One Link, Another with Two Links, Holding an Object of One Dimension" March 1988.
10. Dawn T. Duerre (M. S. Engineering), "Compliance Control of Robotic Fingers," August 1989.
11. Frank Ma (M. S. Engineering), "The Design of a Four Fingered Mechanical Hand," December 1989.
12. John R. Dooley (M. S. Engineering), "Analysis of Mechanisms in the Image Space of Planar Displacements," June 1990.
13. Kevin Quirk (M. S. Engineering), "Symbolic Model Derivation and Trajectory Generation for the UCI Robotic Finger System," December 1990.
14. Tony Wu (M. S. Engineering), "Computer Aided Design of Planar and Spherical 4R Linkages with an Added Driving Dyad," May 1991.
15. Pierre Larochelle (M. S. Engineering), "Maximizing Payload for Cooperating Robot Systems using Time-Optimal Control"--August 1991.
16. Philip Wong (M. S. Engineering), "System Integration and Control of the UCI Three Fingered Mechanical Hand,"--December 1991.
17. Andrew Murray (M. S. Engineering), "Central Axis and Circling Axis Congruences as Projections of the Constraint Manifold of the Complementary Screw Quadrilateral,"--March 1993.
18. Dore C. Mark (M. S. Engineering), "Spherical Linkage Classification and Singularity Analysis"--December 1993
19. Chris Muller (M. S. Mechanical Engineering), "Static Analysis and Deflections of Spherical 4R Linkages. "--March 1996.
20. Karl Etzel (M. S. Mechanical Engineering), "Biquaternion Theory and Applications to Spatial Motion Analysis."--March 1996.
21. Da-Yu Chang, (M. S. Mechanical Engineering), "Kinematic and Static Analysis of 4C Spatial Mechanism,"--August 1998.
22. Lance Kwock (M.S. Mechanical Engineering), Four Position Synthesis Algorithm for 4C Mechanisms,--February 1999.
23. Alba Perez (M.S. Mechanical Engineering), "The Analysis and Synthesis of Bennett Linkages,"--March 1999.
24. Shawn Ahlers (M.S. Engineering), "Motion Interpolation using Double Quaternions," May 2000.